Backyard Poultry Forum • View topic - O.E.G breeders

Backyard Poultry Forum

Chickens, waterfowl & all poultry - home of exhibition & backyard poultry in Australia & New Zealand
Login with a social network:
It is currently Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: O.E.G breeders
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:26 pm 
Hatchling
Hatchling

Hey guys just joined up. This is my first post hope everyone is doing well . I’m after some O.E.G. breeders near ballina nsw I’m looking to purches show quality rooster and 5 hens. Me and my son want to get into breedings/showing. Also if anyone’s willing to help out with any tips and info on the breed it would be much appreciated cheers

Post subject: Re: O.E.G breeders
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:39 pm 
Great Game
Great Game

You could try the Bangalow poultry club, http://www.bangalowpoultryclub.com.au/

They have their annual auction in April usually. Good luck finding those birds.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:01 pm 
Proud Rooster
Proud Rooster

Ajking wrote:
Hey guys just joined up. This is my first post hope everyone is doing well . I’m after some O.E.G. breeders near ballina nsw I’m looking to purches show quality rooster and 5 hens. Me and my son want to get into breedings/showing. Also if anyone’s willing to help out with any tips and info on the breed it would be much appreciated cheers

you need to decide on the type of fowl you would like first, for most........
i presume you've already seen something that has caught your eye????
there are a number of clubs that promote O.E.G in general but all have different ideals.

You have bantam o.e.g
standard size o.e.g
carlisle o.e.g
Oxford o.e.g
miniature o.e.g
miniature Oxford o.e.g

i was there once and sought out some miniature O.E.G.
Was told they were bred down size from large size to miniature, they were very nice birds.
Did a lot of research and found they were not what i was mislead into.
I was after the original old time birds not something that had other breeds put through them to look like a preferred type colour etc just for the show pen.
I wasn't after something just to gain a ribbon or trophy at the show but rather something that was just as they originated. Then maybe get a trophy or ribbon..........
Once i ventured out and found what i was wanting, i bred them and got some very nice birds. i sent photos to people that enter in o.e.g. shows and they all asked where i got them from or did i breed them from the stock i got from them, they liked what they saw................
funny thing is,,,,,,,,when i said they were of a certain type, they all said..."YOU CAN'T SHOW THEM AT OUR CLUB"............. :morebow
Yet there was one club that allowed me to show any "game fowl" and i learned a lot from the club members as well.

i didn't mention names etc so hopefully im not sounding bias.....
Do some research into the breed and heritage of them, look at "TYPE" that you prefer, then look to clubs that promote that type, and youll do fine.

Maybe post a few pictures up of the type you like so all can see and you may get a few more pointers in the direction you want to move.
Wish you luck and joy...........

PS: be ready to have lots of space and always needing to build a new pen :rofl:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:18 am 
Hatchling
Hatchling

THANKs for your reply’s guys much appreciated . I contacted Lismore Poultry Club and went out and had a look at some nice oe game. also got in contact with a man down south that breeds Australia pit game. I’m going to head down there tomorrow and have alook.